Healthy Haitian Food Recipes – 3 Best Recipes For Everyone!
Rice & Beans (Haitian Style)
- 1 package dry kidney beans (8 ounce)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet chile pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. kosher
- 1 tsp. adobo seasoning (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bulb shallot, minced
- 4 tbsps. olive oil
- Put beans in a large-size pot, add water. Bring to a boil; and over low heat, simmer in 1.5 hours, or till tender. Drain, reserve the liquid.
- Over medium heat, in a large-size skillet, heat the oil. Stir-fry garlic and shallot till fragrant. Add cooked beans, stir and cook for two mins. Measure the liquid you reserved, and add five cups of water; stir into skillet. Add uncooked rice and stir. Season with cloves, adobo seasoning, bay leaves, pepper, and salt. Put sprigs of thyme and parsley, and scotch bonnet pepper on top, then boil it. Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about twenty mins. Remove scotch bonnet pepper, parsley, and thyme to serve.
Haitian Food Recipes – Haitian-Style Fried Chicken
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3 pounds chicken legs
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and minced
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 3 tbsps. paprika
- 3 tbsps. seasoned salt
- 2 tbsps. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps. whole cloves vegetable oil for frying
- 3 tbsps. ground thyme
- Mix garlic, onion, lemon juice, chicken legs, pepper, thyme, paprika, seasoned salt, and cloves in a large-size bowl. Cover and allow it to be marinated in the fridge for 12 hours at least.
- Over medium-high heat, heat oil in a large-size saucepan or a deep-fryer. Fry chicken in batches within about eight mins for each side or till golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Haitian Food Recipes – Haitian Beef Patties
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tbsp. beef broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pinch chile powder, or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tsps. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Add flour to a large-size bowl. Make a well in the center; add salt and water. Mix using a wooden spoon lightly till the dough comes together. Cover and chill within half an hour.
- Mix butter and shortening together in a small-size bowl.
- Take out the dough and put onto a flat work surface; roll into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Spread on top with a half of the shortening combination. Fold one side of the rectangle into the center; spread on top with the rest of the shortening. Fold other side like a letter – over the first. Roll into a rectangle with 1/4-inch-thickness; fold into thirds. Do this process again.
- Wrap the dough and chill, eight hours at least.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F).
- Pound powdered garlic, parsley, shallots, and chile into paste with pestle and a mortar.
- Over medium heat, preheat a large-size skillet. Cook the beef till browned. Add shallot paste, beef broth, and onion. Cook in ten mins.
- Roll the dough and make the shape you need.
- Brush edges and tops of the dish with egg yolk.
- Bake till puffy, about half an hour. Reduce heat to 150 degrees C (300 degrees F) and keep baking till golden brown.
Here are some suggestions for readers who love Haitian dishes, especially Haitian food recipes. Try these dishes at home and give them to your friends and family as well!